Friday 3 February 2012

foraging toys!

Today I made some foraging toys for the budgies. My budgies love to play with toys, so I decided why not make some foraging toys to get them playing and receiving food as a treat! foraging toys are great for your birds health and happiness and some bird owners use it alone to feed their birds.

When you're first introducing foraging toys your birds might not know what to do, so its best to start of simple.

Today I used some cat jingle balls (which my budgies love to throw around) and simple pushed some millet and some seed/honey treat through the little holes... I then placed it in a little dish so they could try and get the food out.

As soon as I put something new in the cage they check it out.
Here's some pictures of them having a go!

If you're bird give up very easily with the toy, this is probably because there is food right there he or she can eat in its food dish. Take the food dish away for a few hours and let them get food from the toy.


some more ideas for making your own foraging toys are:
cardboard boxes: punch wholes in there, and put some of your birds favourite treats in...
or a paper bag, simple place the treats in and let your bird try and get it out.

(paper bags are best for bigger birds like parrots)

You can also buy toys online that allow you to place food inside.

here are some pics of my budgies checking the treats out!

here's one hanging up Kirby was having a look at


charlie having a go!


hmm what treats might be in there??


No comments:

Post a Comment